As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been a bit quiet lately. I’ve been meaning to make a blog post, but work on the game comes first. It’s surprising how much time making a good level takes. I’ve just finished the 4th one and I have a little bit of time left.
Let me talk about what I’m using for level editing in Infested Planet. I’ve mentioned that I managed to rig the vector art program Inkscape to arrange UI. Well, I’ve recently made Infested Planet load levels from Inkscape as well.
The process is simple, the map is loaded as a bunch of polygons – that’s not a problem. I’ve even added the ability to read in cubic splines for extra curviness. The biggest challenge was reading game objects, since Inkscape has no idea what an Infested Planet object is.
Fortunately, Inkscape allows you to insert custom XML tags. What I do is hide away some IP-specific data in the art file. I even store the level scripts in there, just so everything is in the same place.
Here’s the same level in the game:
This works very well. I don’t have to write crazy editing tools when should be making the game. Inkscape gives me a well-developed UI for changing the map and dragging around objects. Finally, if you really want to, you can use the same tools that I do to make levels when the game comes out.